AlUla Rock Art Trail
The Rock Art Trail in Hegra is a fascinating journey through time as depicted on hundreds of petroglyphs, which can be view from 12 points of interest.
The rock art and inscriptions along the scenic route traverse several civilisations, contain many different figures, scenes and languages and deal with topics ranging from trade to travel and worship to robbery.
Interpretative signage and a touch and feel table will help bring the stories to life. The 1500 M track takes walkers on an elevated loop providing stunning views of Hegra. Visitors can choose daytime or evening for their rock art tour, the atmospheric evening tour includes torches for visitors to search for hidden details in the inscriptions.
Summer Trail Schedule
May 15 - September 5
Thrusday - Saturday, 1 timeslot at 9:00 PM each day will be available for booking.
To follow the AlUla Rock Art Trail, begin at Winter Park. Board the air-conditioned coach (be sure to arrive 40 minutes before your tour start time to allow for transportation). Your coach will convey you to Hegra Heritage Site.
Upon arriving at Hegra, your bus will stop briefly at the Hegra Welcome Centre, where you will be greeted by a Rawi. After a short briefing, the coach will transport you to the trailhead.
The experience isn’t complete when the trail ends. On your return trip, you will stop at a lookout point for unforgettable views. Take a moment to enjoy the scene and snap a selfie with the magnificent view of Hegra in the background.
Following this brief stop, your coach will return to Winter Park via the Hegra Welcome Centre, creating the perfect opportunity for you to explore more of Hegra Heritage Site.
Make the most of your time in Hegra. If you have a full day to spend, book tickets for two unique experiences available at Hegra Heritage Site: the Hegra Tour and the AlUla Rock Art Trail. On the day of your bookings, you can make the Hegra Welcome Centre your home base rather than returning to Winter Park between experiences.
- 8:20 AM: Arrive at Winter Park for transportation to Hegra Welcome Centre
- 9:00 AM: Arrive at Hegra Welcome Centre and meet the Rawi for transfer to the AlUla Rock Art Trail
- 10:30 AM: Rock Art Trail Experience ends; coach returns to Hegra Welcome Centre
- 11:00 AM: Check in at Hegra Welcome Centre for your Hegra Tour experience. Enjoy a leisurely day at this expansive site before returning to Winter Park.
Summer operation hours will be communicated soon.
- Duration of the experiment: Approximately 60- 90 minutes
- Tour will not be operational during Ramadan & Eid days from 11th April - 16th May
- Require medium fitness level
- Meeting point at Winter Park Southern Entrance - See Location on Google
- Arrive at the Winter Park - if driving park your car free of charge at the designated area near the entrance - our staff will guide you to the meeting point to join the shuttle bus to Hegra heritage site.
- Parking is not permitted at any of the heritage sites.
- Please arrive 40 minutes before your tour start time to allow time for transportation.
- Book tickets in advance and have your printed copy or e-ticket ready when you arrive at check-in.
- Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
- Hegra is open expanse and exposed to the elements, we encourage you to take responsibility for your health and safety and stay hydrated.
- Late arrival for your booked time may result in being denied entry.
Hiking clothes and boots will not be provided.
Children below 8 are not allowed.
What to do
Unlock the secrets of this open-air museum, where an exciting collection of immersive experiences and activities bring its stories to life.
All Tours and Experiences
Hidden Valley Hike 1.5-Hour Experience
Take to the desert after dark and the tranquil ambiance that surrounds you on the 4km walk.
Hegra Tour 2-Hour Tour
Visit Hegra, Saudi Arabia’s first UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the largest preserved site of the Nabataean civilisation south of Petra.
Hegra Rock Art Trail 1.5-Hour Trail
Explore Hegra with a Rawi (guide) and learn the stories of the rock art found amongst the stone.
Orange Path and Al Wadi AT YOUR LEISURE
Walk between farms in the fresh AlUla air to discover sun-lit markets where local farmers and artisans sell wares from citrus-infused delicacies to pottery. Make a day of this experience by renting a digital bike to explore further.
AlUla Old Town Market Shopping
Stroll through the outdoor market and shop local artisans, traditional crafts and cafes.
Alula Old Town Tour 1-Hour Tour
Take a tour with a Rawi (guide) through AlUla Old Town where pilgrims, travellers and permanent settlers congregated through the ages.
Dadan & Jabal Ikmah Tour 2-Hour Tour
Start your journey through time at Dadan, the ancient Kingdom of the Lihyanite and Dadanite civilisations. Next, take a 10-minute drive to Jabal Ikmah situated in a stunning desert canyon.
Oasis Trail 2-Hour Trail
Weave your way through the beautiful AlUla Oasis. This 2-hour tour is self-guided and at your leisure.
Elephant Rock Visit 2-Hour Experience
Take a seat in our comfortable and stylish sunken seating, sit back and enjoy the view of our most famous geological formation Elephant Rock as she looms large over you.
Stargazing 4-Hour Experience
AlUla is a fantastic place for stargazing. At AlGharameel, you can enjoy a traditional bedouin set-up, with an expert guide on hand to tell you about the stars and constellations, and how they relate to AlUla’s culture and history.
Cycling Trail 2-Hour Experience
Follow the pack leader on a leisurely bike ride crossing through the sand dunes and surrounded by AlUla’s unique landscapes.
AlUla Zipline Experience 1-Hour Experience
One for thrill seekers, test your nerve by whizzing through the air on the zipline at Harrat Mountain.
AlUla Fresh Farm 2-Hour Experience
AlUla Fresh offers a fantastic tour around the agriculture of AlUla. Get back to nature by picking fruits, planting seeds and enjoying a seating area in the farm.
AlUla Oasis view Trail 3-Hour Experience
Hike up to Alfath mountain peak to catch an unforgettable view of AlUla oasis, with millions of palm trees below you.
The Adventure Trail 3 - 4-Hour guided hike
Lace up your hiking shoes and hit the mountains for a half day journey led by an expert guide through the rocky terrain and deep pools of water.
Hegra Vintage Jeep Tours Coming Soon
Hop in a vintage Jeep and explore the miles of tombs within Hegra.